15 Valentine's Day Ideas for Families
Valentine's Day is more than candy hearts and staying up late the night before writing “you’re neat” on Scooby Doo Valentine's Day Cards for the whole class.
While the Hallmark side of Valentine's Day can be fun to participate in, this day is also a great opportunity to teach your kids about kindness and real love. Here are some fun ideas to take Valentine's Day to a whole new level in your family:
- Pack an extra dessert in your kids’ lunch box for them to share with a friend to help them practice kindness.
- Decide as a family somewhere you can volunteer together in your community to show love to others.
- Let your kids ask you questions about your relationship and how you met. (It is important for kids to know that their parents are in love; it provides security for them!)
- Get the whole family in the car and give yourselves a time limit to complete 3-5 random acts of kindness. Maybe you fill up someone’s gas tank, pay for someone’s coffee order behind you at Starbucks, or even just see someone in need and pull over to help.
- Think of a couple with babies at home and as a family volunteer to watch their babies so that couple can go out on a date and your family can do something kind and generous.
- Go out to dinner as a family and bring a deck of cards to play while you wait for your food; make a no phone rule.
- After school or work, go as a family and pick up trash somewhere in town.. then go for ice cream!
- Ask your kids to think about something nice they would like to do for someone they know and support them 100%!
Written by Anna Collins
Anna Collins lives in sunny Southern California with her husband and two children. She is passionate about her marriage, staying at home with her kids, writing, coffee, good conversation, and game night. Her life dream is to someday write a book and see it published.